About Aoraki Development
Timaru District - THE Place to Live and do Business
Aoraki Development is the economic development agency for the Timaru District. We're passionate about the Timaru District and we are committed to working with individuals, businesses and industry sectors to grow the profile and well-being of this great District.
Whether you are already here or keen to discuss why you should be - contact us today as we'd love to have a chat about why you should be living, working, studying, doing business and investing here.
Our three key pillars of priority are:
- To attract and assist new business
- To maintain and attract a skilled workforce
- To encourage new opportunities and facilitate growth for existing businesses.
We are currently working on:
1. Facilitating a Timaru CBD stakeholder group to establish and implement a strategic plan for the future of the CBD.
2. Driving a collaborative Regional Workforce Initiative. In a recent Labour Market Survey it was clearly identified that local businesses want and need to be more actively engaged within and between industry sectors to tackle workforce issues head on. As a result, Aoraki Development is:
- Facilitating the establishment of Business Connection Groups (BCG’s) across seven industry sectors.
- Enhancing the connection between businesses and secondary and tertiary providers to better expose and educate our youth of local industries, career opportunities and pathways for further education.
- Understanding and addressing businesses' training and development needs via improved communication with, and knowledge of, all local training providers’ and staffing companies’ offerings.
3. Progressing the promotion of Timaru District as a great place to live and work by developing a social media presence with video testimonials from people who have moved to the district. Work is currently underway on producing a four minute video, “Our Story”, that will be the cohesive message and compelling reason to be used by all to assist in attracting new residents to the district. This exciting project is due for completion mid-April and we are hugely thankful to our co-funding partners Fonterra Clandeboye, Ara, Primeport and Alpine Energy in making this happen.
4. Creating a comprehensive database of industrial available for potential development in the district.
5. Establishing and building key strategic partnerships with relevant people, businesses and agencies both locally and nationally that can ultimately benefit the district, the communities and our people.
As the district's economic development agency, Aoraki Development is your first point of contact for new business development, looking to invest, study or simply learn more about what this great part of New Zealand has to offer you, your family and your business.
We encourage you all to take a closer look at the Timaru District.
Check out some of the video testimonials, Why Choose Timaru District to Live and Work.
Timaru District has a reputation for having affordable housing, with the six month moving average house price currently around $335,000 (as at 30 November, 2016) for a permanent material 3 bedroom home. Housing Affordability.