About Aoraki Development
As the economic development agency for the Timaru District we're passionate about this region and we are committed to working with individuals, businesses and industry sectors to grow the profile and well-being of this great district.
Whether you are already here or keen to discuss why you should be - contact us today as we'd love to have a chat about why you should be living, working, studying, doing business and investing here.
Our three key pillars of priority are:
- To attract and assist new business
- To maintain and attract a skilled workforce
- To encourage new opportunities and facilitate growth for existing businesses.
We are currently:
- Driving a collaborative Regional Workforce Initiative assisting local businesses to be more actively engaged within and between industry sectors to tackle workforce issues. This includes:
- Facilitating the establishment of Business Connection Groups (BCG’s) across industry sectors. There are now four BCGs up and running: Transport & Logistics; Food Processing & Manufacturing; Construction & Trades; Professionals.
- Enhancing the connection between businesses and secondary and tertiary providers to better inform our young people of local career opportunities and pathways for further education.
- Understanding and addressing businesses' training and development needs via improved communication with, and knowledge of, all local training providers’ and staffing companies’ offerings.
- Aoraki Development is facilitating the South Canterbury Youth Transition Initiative – which is a pilot programme endorsed by the Canterbury Mayoral Forum and funded by the Ministry of Social Development. The aim of the initiative is to “Engage, Educate & Excite” our local secondary school students on their important next step so they are as informed as possible about their future career and further education pathways. This involves extensively working with local business/industry and our schools to create enhanced connections between the workplaces and schools and keep the young people in this district.
- Establishing and building key strategic partnerships with relevant people, businesses and agencies both locally and nationally that can ultimately benefit the district, the communities and our people.
- Working alongside the newly formed Timaru CBD Society, the key stakeholders of our town centre, to assist with their aim of enhancing the Timaru CBD area to make it attractive to people and businesses. There are four working groups involved – Investment, Heritage, Enhancement and Experience in addition to the Executive Group.
- Our role with the Timaru Sister City Committee is to assist in fostering cultural and economic exchanges and further promote overseas relationships. Our sister cities are:
- Orange, New South Wales, Australia
- Orange, California, United States of America
- Weihai, Shandong Province, People's Republic of China
- Eniwa, Japan
Visit the Timaru District Council for more information
Promoting Timaru District to live and work
We’re also progressing the promotion of Timaru District as a great place to live and work by developing a social media presence with video testimonials from people who have moved to the district. Our Story video is freely available to share with people who’re considering coming here to work and live.
For those interested in investing, ask about our comprehensive database of industrial and commercial land available in the district for potential development.
Your first point of contact for business
Aoraki Development is your first point of contact for new business development, looking to invest, study or simply learn more about what this great part of New Zealand has to offer you, your family and your business.
We encourage you all to take a closer look at the Timaru District.
Check out some of the video testimonials, Why Choose Timaru District to Live and Work.
Timaru District has a reputation for having affordable housing, with the six month moving average house price currently around $340,000 (as at 31 May 2017) for a permanent material 3 bedroom home. Housing Affordability.
View or download our district profile: Showcasing Timaru District
For more information about Aoraki Development;