About Aoraki Development
As the economic development agency for the Timaru District we're passionate about this region and we're committed to working with individuals, businesses and industry sectors to grow the profile and well-being of this great district.
Whether you are already here or keen to discuss why you should be - contact us today as we'd love to have a chat about why you should be living, working, studying, running a business and investing here.
Our three key priorities are:
- To attract and assist new business
- To maintain and attract a skilled workforce
- To encourage new opportunities and facilitate growth for existing businesses
We are currently:
- Driving a collaborative Regional Workforce Initiative assisting local businesses to be more actively engaged within and between industry sectors to tackle workforce issues. This includes:
- Establishing Business Connection Groups (BCG’s) across industry sectors. There are now four BCGs up and running: Transport & Logistics; Food Processing & Manufacturing; Construction & Trades; Professionals.
- Understanding and addressing businesses' training and development needs via improved communication with, and knowledge of, all local training providers and staffing companies offerings.
- Facilitating the South Canterbury My Next Move Youth Transition Initiative – which is a pilot programme endorsed by the Canterbury Mayoral Forum and funded by the Ministry of Social Development. The aim of the initiative is to “Engage, Educate & Excite” our local secondary school students on their important next step so they are as informed as possible about their future career and further education pathways. This involves extensively working with local business/industry and our schools to create enhanced connections between the workplaces and schools and keep the young people in this district.
- Establishing and building key strategic partnerships with relevant people, businesses and agencies both locally and nationally that can ultimately benefit the district, the communities and our people.
- Working alongside the Timaru CBD Society, the key stakeholders of our town centre, to assist with their aim of enhancing the Timaru CBD area to make it attractive to people and businesses.
- Working with the Aoraki Migrant Centre to ensure our new migrants are successfully settled in Timaru District, and businesses are supported when employing new migrants. We're also joining with the Migrant Centre and Timaru District Council to ensure the successful settlement of the refugees who will soon be coming to Timaru District as part of the Government's Regional Refugee Resettlement Programme.
- Working with the Timaru Sister City Committee to assist in fostering cultural and economic exchanges and further promote overseas relationships. Our sister cities are:
- Orange, New South Wales, Australia
- Orange, California, United States of America
- Weihai, Shandong Province, People's Republic of China
- Eniwa, Japan
Visit the Timaru District Council for more information
Promoting Timaru District to live and work
We’re also promoting Timaru District as a great place to live and work through our targeted campaign, We love Timaru. This has involved a series of social media videos from people sharing their stories about why they've moved to the district ... and how they're loving it. There are also new welcome billboards at the northern and southern entrances to Timaru. Watch the videos.
Your first point of contact for business
Aoraki Development is your first point of contact for new business development, looking to invest, study or simply learn more about what this great part of New Zealand has to offer you, your family and your business. For those interested in investing in our district, we can assist with information about industrial and commercial land available in the district for potential development.
We encourage you all to take a closer look at the Timaru District.
More information about Aoraki Development: